The Green Jobs - Green New York (GJGNY) Program provides New Yorkers with access to energy assessments, installation services, low-cost financing (currently for residential customers only), and pathways to training for various green-collar careers.
The GJGNY Program delivers services in targeted communities with the support of Constituency-Based Organizations (CBOs). CBOs recruit residential, small businesses, Not-for-Profits (NFP), and multi-family building owners into the energy assessment and financing programs; and encourage individuals to take advantage of clean energy training opportunities.
Free or low-cost energy assessments through NYSERDA's Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Program are available to residential customers.
For those that want to take advantage of low interest financing, HPwES offers two options through Green Jobs – Green NY.* Both loan options offer up to $13,000 per household, up to $25,000 if the project meets higher cost-effectiveness standards, and repayment periods of 5, 10, or 15 years.
Option 1: On-bill recovery loans provide homeowners the convenience of paying for energy improvements on their utility bill.
- The current interest rate* is 3.49%
- Payments will be included in monthly charges from your utility
- Your annual loan payment is calculated to not exceed the anticipated amount of money you save on energy costs
- When you sell your home you will have the option to transfer the unpaid balance of loan to the new owners
- Requires an On-Bill Recovery Program Declaration. The Declaration is not a lien on the property, but is recorded in a similar way as a Mortgage to provide notice to others of the obligations under the loan transaction.
- Learn more about interest rates and how to apply at Energy Finance Solutions.
- Learn more about the On-Bill Recovery Loan Program.
Option 2: Smart Energy loans offer affordable interest rates, flexible terms and simple repayment options.
- The current interest rate* is 3.99% or 3.49% if you pay via automatic bank withdrawals
- Repaid monthly directly to NYSERDA’s loan servicer
For full eligibility requirements and instructions on how to apply for either loan, visit our Residential Financing page or call 1-800-361-5663.
Small Business and Not-for-Profit
Programs for small businesses and not-for-profits offer access to walk-through energy assessments and low-interest energy efficiency project financing. Small businesses and not-for-profits can finance energy efficiency upgrades with low interest payments conveniently built into one energy bill. Offset the payment with the savings you earn over the year. Learn more about the On-Bill Recovery Loan Program.
The Multifamily Performance Program (MPP) provides a comprehensive building assessment to identify energy savings opportunities in the buildings. The program identifies available incentives and financing opportunities. Coming soon, multifamily building owners can finance energy efficiency upgrades through low interest payments conveniently built into one energy bill. Offset the payment with the savings you earn. Learn more about the On-Bill Recovery Loan Program.
A lot of interest and enthusiasm surrounds the topic of "green jobs" and training for clean energy careers. Workforce training programs and other training partnerships are available across the State to encourage the development of a skilled clean-energy workforce that supports energy efficiency and the installation of clean technologies.
Green Jobs - Green New York was signed into law on October 9, 2009, and uses revenue from the sale of carbon emission credits to support the program.
* The loan repayment period cannot exceed the useful life of the financed measures. The minimum financing amount is $3,000 for Home Performance with ENERGY STAR and $1,500 for customers who qualify for Assisted Home Performance with ENERGY STAR. Interest rates are subject to change. NYSERDA has the right to access a customer’s credit report, FICO score, and utility payment history, and perform similar credit-related activities for the purpose of evaluating an applicant’s creditworthiness. Financing, energy audits, and workforce development opportunities made available through the Green Jobs - Green NY Act of 2009.